Search This Blog

September 11, 2007

Experimenting

Today, I'm trying to make wings for some new sculptures that I've been baking (in my melon). They are dragons with dragonfly wings. I wanted to try and make them with Kato liquid and wire for the veins. Nothing too elaborate, but different for me.

So I went to the store, got some wire, and a small picture frame (for the glass) and came home to get started. I don't know if this is going to work. I tried to super glue the wires together at the points where I want them to meet. I know that super glue isn't supposed to hold up to heat, and I'm kind of counting on that, because I glued the wires right to the glass. Not big long lines of glue, but tiny little pin pricks of it. Then filled it in with the Kato.

Well, it's in the oven now (only did one wing just in case) and am eager to see if the glue released itself. I hope it did, but also fear that it will have turned white, and left a residue in the liquid clay. I'll post results as they come in......stay tuned. LOL

--
Ok, the glass is out of the oven and there are no white spots where the glue was applied. The wing is as clear as the glass it was baked on. It's still attached, because the glass is very HOT HOT HOT. But so far the wing looks very pretty! I hope I can peel it off of the glass.

more to come.

--
WHOOO HOOOO!
It worked it worked it worked!!!! Just as I predicted, the super glue let loose from the heat of the oven!!!! I'm so super excited (can you tell?)

1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful. I never would have thought to do it like that!

    ReplyDelete