Search This Blog

April 7, 2012

Addicted to Perfecting Eyes

Well, any of you who know me from back in the day know that I've been obsessing over eyes since the beginning of time. Some how the eye bug has got me again, so here I am working on them trying to get them just perfect. And I think this time I'm pretty darn close to the way I've always been wanted them! I'm still having some issues with bubbles, and the kind of sealer to use to get the look I want. I'm wanting to try some of that epoxy that looks like water but I need to read up on it and see how high of a temperature it can withstand. Which has ALWAYS been one of the major problems of making the eyes. Even though I find things that are heat safe, they tend to yellow when in the oven plus they're just not thick enough. I don't want chibis that look like they have jaundice ;) And then I've used the Fimo gel and it doesn't get completely clear if it's thick enough and then (to me) they look like they have cataracts. These eyes I didn't dome the irises and simply used Delta PermEnamel Clear Glaze-8oz/Gloss. Although they don't have the depth I'm looking for, I think they're quite lovely and I'm still happy.

So I'm still on the hunt! But not giving up....never giving up :o)

xoxo Maddy

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not for years I haven't. I hate to buy some just to find out it doesn't work. I need to check my stash!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I've put Ice Resin pieces in the oven without them yellowing. Now these were just one step baking for 30 minutes tops so I don't know if it would yellow after longer than that. The one big drawback of Ice Resin is that is takes up to 24 hours to set completely but unlike the epoxy you mentioned it is non-toxic and low odor. It's a bit pricy but I've started to see some 1oz kits that are probably more what you would need than the 8oz kits I get..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of that until your comment. I'm going to give it a try when I can. It is a bit expensive, but not bad if it works. Looks like you'd get quite a bit of eye glazing out of a tube. I've added it to my store so that I won't forget to try it. Thanks so much for the tip!! I really appreciate it :o)

      Delete
  3. Ill ck my stash. Have so many i dont use. Ill send u what i have

    ReplyDelete
  4. fimo glaze dries clear. and kato clear polyclay dries clear. i use it on everything. doesnt yellow its perfect. hugs.

    ReplyDelete